[meteorite-list] Ash Creek the most expensive ordinary chondrite?þ

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:22:21 -0500

Hi Greg and all,

While I think there are a lot of good points on why this meteorite was
expensive, I think there is another factor in all this as well.
The more people, meteorite hunters, collectors and so on that descend on a
fall, the more expenses that have to be added into the cost. If you only
have 50lbs (22.7 kilos) of material (for example) and fifty hunters, the
cost for travel, motel, time and effort and payment to land owners will make
that fall higher in price. If only a half dozen hunters search the area then
the price would be substantially less. This assumes that they all find an
average amount of material.

I realize there is no way of knowing for certain how much material survived
passage or can be found but seems if every meteorite hunter in a two
thousand mile radius heads out and there are more hunters than material
we're in for an expensive fall.

I've heard some comments about fewer searchers then better chance of hunters
price fixing but I don't think this would happen in most cases. I believe in
the credibility of most hunters and collectors. As I have said many times
before, ultimately it is what someone is willing to pay for an item that
will dictate the price of material. Usually about a year after the fall is
the best priced material. Well my two grams worth.

All my best!

--AL Mitterling