[meteorite-list] Ash Creek vs. Buzzard Coulee

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:24:46 -0600

I feel that Greg S. and everyone answered the specifics of why Ash Creek is
more expensive than Buzzard Coulee very well. We got several reports each
day from the field on the search for Ash Creek-West, many more reports than
on Buzzard Coulee. Also, Ash Creek was more accessible than Buzzard and also
you have to throw into the mix the fact that Canadian laws made it
impossible for any Buzzard Coulee to be exported, so none were allowed out
by law except in some very, very rare instances of where we know a specimen
or two got out of Canada. Those Canadian laws made it less desirable for
anyone to bother searching for it as aggressively as Ash Creek.

Also, the fact that no one knew for sure when Canada was going to allow
export permits, it just made sense that it was not worth the wait, time,
money and effort to search for Buzzard since there are so many more
collectors/dealers in the lower 48 states and so many collectors in the
Southwest areas of Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona , Nevada and
California that could easily drive to Texas. Honestly, think about the fact
that if you put a dot on a map of the "World" for every collector/dealer,
there would be the greatest concentration in the Western U.S.