[meteorite-list] West - Blue-Silvery Markings

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:55:31 EDT

Hi Robert and list, I just looked at the post of the image on Michael's
site (Thanks!!!).

http://www.rocksfromspace.org/West-markings.html

SaU 001 has a copper metallic sheen on some of the examples. I wonder if it
is the same process at work?

I am convinced it is the result of metals internal to the meteorite
vaporized and depositing in the crust. Very similar to pottery glazes. Different
metals=different colors. This metallic glaze has stood up to hundreds of years
in the Oman desert. I think it is in the glass of the crust (so to speak).

I have taken some heat on this but I have tried to wear the glaze off by
carrying small samples in my pocket for extended periods. It is in the glass
that forms the crust and is not part of the weathering process as has been
suggested in SaU 001. In fact this metalic finish has been dismissed as just a
weathering phenomenon.

I am very excited to see a similar looking deposit on a fresh fall.

Email me for some cool SaU 001 crust shoots but be advised, I am not as good
with macro as micro!

Tom Phillips

In a message dated 3/10/2009 6:03:32 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,