[meteorite-list] A question?????

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 16:12:53 +0200

Hiho Doug,

>the name of the planet "Terra" is more based in science fiction of some
>authors these days rather.

Cicero: "ille globus quae terra dicitur.."
That ball, we call Earth.

In principle "tellus" and "terra" are synonyms,
but "tellus" is more poetic, means more the goddess, the Earth as center of
the world, in opposite to a celestial body;

while "terra" means more the physical matter, the Earth as whole physical
entity (in fact as planet, as celestial body, if they wouldn't have had a
geocentric system)and also as one of the elements (water, fire..).

Although for the elements only, there for was also "solum", means also
earth, used,
especially in opposite to the element water - see also today "solid".
And additionally in the meaning of "land" "ground", "bottom".

Finally there is still "humus" for earth.
That means earth in the sense of the hierarchic system of the spheres,
where the sphere of the element earth was in the center of the universe,
(below the sphere of water, below the sphere of air...).
So it means the lowest, the inmost. (humble, humiliate ect.).

"Tellurem pro terra posuit, quum tellurem deam dicamus, terram elementum."
Maurus Servius Honoratus (a grammarian around AD 420)

Uh my Latin... well he says, fort he goddess "tellus", fort he element
"terra".

Hmmm I would say, from the Roman ancient world until the modern times,
"terra" was more in use to denominate Earth as planet. (Also because of the
Christian tradition, as "terra" is used in the Latin bible. See also
Augustinus).

So perhaps we should stay with Terra?

The adjective to Terra in Latin would be "terrenus".
So probably "Terran meteorite" would be correct.

Exist also Latin "terrestris", but that means rather "located on Earth, part
of the Earth",
so we could leave "terrestrial" for pseudo-meteorites.

(btw. Mars, Martis --> Martian. (Martinus, says Martin, the Martian).
Mercur, Mercuris ---> Mercurian. Venus, Veneris ---> Venerian. (cause I
read somewhere Venusian) Hmm the Doug "Dawn"-space probe is on the way to
Vesta. Vestalian meteorites sounds a little bit....)

Uuuuuuh, a posting like from one of those class mates from the 1st row,
you never wanted to be friend with...(Don't know the right expression. Geek?
Swot?..)

Have a nice weekend!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----