[meteorite-list] Regarding list content

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:31:03 +0200

Well Elton,

there I have a different opinion than you, as I want to protect our
collectors, especially the new ones, from fraud.

I know of four cases, where Chicago-Steve distributed meteorites, which were
not that, what he claimed they are. In one case it was even a fake and no
meteorite at all. In two cases he was informed before, that the pieces were
not authentic, but that didn't kept him off from selling the pieces.

I have at least 3 cases, where collectors here in Germany had troubles with
him, because he refused to ship the meteorites, they had won in his
auctions, because he wasn't content with the result.

The same problem I had once with him too.

Furthermore he purchased an expensive specimen from me,
didn't pay for a long time, and asked then for being allowed to pay in
instalments over a long period (more than a year), because of a private
emergency case.
I accepted, as such things can happen. Only a short time later I saw him
boasting on the list, what for specimens he just had purchased in Tucson.
And additionally I saw him holding the highest bids on ebay-auctions with a
total of 3000$.

In my personal opinion he falls in the same category like a Turecki or an
Evans
and therefore I'll continue to give to the collectors the recommendation not
to buy from him and to my colleagues not to sell to him, because you can't
know whether he will play fast and loose with your name, your specimens or
your specimen's cards.

That said,
I will agree with you, Elton, and won't say a word anymore to that person.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----