[meteorite-list] How much survives entry?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:12:51 -0700

To get a visceral sense of why so little material survives entry, we can do
a simple back-of-the-envelope calculation that lets us ignore messy details
like entry angle, composition, and ablation physics.

A very slow meteoroid (12 km/s) entering the atmosphere is carrying a
kinetic energy of 72 MJ/kg. That's the equivalent of 17 kg of TNT per kg of
meteoroid. Usually, all of that energy is dissipated in at most a few
seconds (for our purposes, any surviving meteorites can be considered to
have zero kinetic energy).

A meteoroid that enters at 26 km/s (still slow enough for meteorites) gives
up 338 MJ/kg, or 80 kg TNT per kg.

Not hard to see from this just how rough a ride those meteoroids experience.
The energy is what it is; the primary factor that determines survival is how
long the energy is allowed to dissipate. That's why long lasting fireballs
are much better candidates for meteorite producers than shorter ones.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com