[meteorite-list] Speed-of-light question

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 00:50:51 -0500

Hi, All,

Speaking to this thread, and all the people who
find this sort of thing fun, there are many other
relativity brain teasers you can tease your brain
with... Like this one:

<QUOTE>

    Consider the admittedly unrealistic situation
of a man carrying horizontally a 20-ft pole and
wanting to get it into a 10-ft garage. He will run at
speed v = 0.866c to make ? = 2, so that the pole
contracts to 10 ft. It will be well to insist on having a
sufficiently massive block of concrete at the back
of the garage, so that there is no question of whether
the pole finally stops in the inertial frame of the
garage, or vice versa.

    So the man runs with his (now contracted) pole
into the garage and a friend quickly closes the door.
In principle we do not doubt the feasibility of this
experiment; that is, the reality of length contraction.
When the pole stops in the rest-frame of the garage,
it will tend to assume, if it can, its original length
relative to the garage. Thus, if it survived the impact,
it must now either bend, or burst the door, or remain
compressed.

    At this point a paradox might occur to the reader:
What about the symmetry of the phenomenon?
Relative to the runner, won?t the garage be only 5 ft
long? And, if so, how can the 20-ft pole get into the
5-ft garage? Very well, let us consider what happens...

<UNQUOTE>

from Wolfgang Rindler's "Relativity," probably
the best and clearest book on the subject ever
written. It contains a lot of brain teasers and
it is downloadable at:
http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/science_books/astronomy_cosmology/relativity_special_general_and_cosmological.html

And the answer? I won't spoil it, but you can get the
20-foot pole into the 5-foot garage easily, no problemo.
and with room to spare! (p. 63)

Sterling K. Webb