[meteorite-list] Thank you!

From: matt <metlist_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 07:06:31 +0100

Back in May I posted a request for 'giveaway' meteorites for a series of
presentations I was giving to school students. I realised last night that in the
rush to finish for the summer, writing about it for Meteorite magazine and the
birth of our second child I never publicly thanked those that came to my aid.

Two people in particular helped me out.

Mark Crawford, a fellow British collector, who quickly sent me some NWA
fragments and tektites, entirely at his own cost, which I have used as prizes in
a competition following on from the presentations. Since the event only took
place the week before we finished for the summer, I'll be giving those out next
week when we return to school.

Sonny Clary, who sent me 90(!) fragments of a 120lb chondrite he found in Nevada
in 2007. Shipping alone was almost $50, and I cannot imagine the time invested
in making a find like this, but Sonny never asked for a penny (US readers may
substitute the word 'dime' for 'penny'). Truly amazing generosity, which allowed
every single one of the students involved to take a piece of space-rock home on
the day.

If you haven't already seen it check out Geoff Notkin's article:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/lizard/2009/08/24/ralph-sonny-clary-meteorite-hunter-and-philanthropist-makes-important-donation-to-british-school-kids/

And keep an eye out for the upcoming Meteorite magazine article!

Regards,

Matt.