[meteorite-list] Speed-of-light question

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 01:31:54 -0400

Greg, if you walked to Alpha Centuri, it would take a long time. (And
if you wanted to go exactly there, it would be quite a warm welcome).

If you traveled at the speed of light it would be like Juan Salvador
Gaviota (instant from your point of view). So the question isn't that
you traveled at the speed of light ("impossible"), but what is the
speed you would have to haul at to make all these light year distances
in astronomy make sense from the point of view of actually getting in a
ship and going there and taking as long as the star atlas says.

It is clearly between 7 trillion hours (hours, not dollars) which is
how long it would taker to walk, and 0 hours (instant) if you went at
the speed of light in the traveling frame of reference.

So you just need to find the happy medium to adjust the detached
observer's dilation of time to be the inverse of your time, I think.
70.1% the speed of light seems to do it. The Factor you need to divide
the speed of light by might be, 1/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)). Setting
v=1/sqrt(2), you get 1/sqrt(1-(1/2)) = 1/sqrt(1/2) = sqrt(2).

Anyways, something like that,
and with that Mr. Thompkins bid the Professor "Goodnight" :-)
Doug