[meteorite-list] holes in stone meteorites- an attempt towards an answer

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:39:30 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,
  Was the day you found the hole same day you found the pocket full of asphalt meteorites? The strangest things seem to happen in Chicago!

  If one looks at what drives your meteorite buying is holes, lips and lipping, flow lines, and end cuts. Oh, I almost forgot your all time latest favorites Gaos. Your Sikhote-Alin two-holer will be treasured for a while I hope before you dump her onto Ebay?

  To answer your question Steve... yes stone meteorite can have "holes". "Holes" can occur in stone meteorites due to vugs, vesicles. I have posted a photo on the meteor/meteorite news weblog of Dho 700 with vugs.

Photo: http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/

  Another cause of holes in stone meteorites is sand grain abrasion.

  And last, your hole might just be manmade like in some of your irons.

Hope that answers a part of your question, Steve.

Best of luck with your holes. Dirk Ross....Tokyo