[meteorite-list] US States & Fed Govt Laws regarding prospecting, hiking, ...

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:43:00 -0500

Hi Geozay,

True. I have to agree. It's a pity we don't have a "respectful
naturalist permit" that would allow the people with common sense to
access these areas. Four-wheelers, throngs of hole-digging hunters,
and litter-tossing gawkers would be a bad thing. One can legally go
into some of these areas with a firearm and slay a living creature
with the blessing of the law, but one can't bend down and pick up an
oxidizing piece of natural iron because large numbers of selfish
people ruined it for all of us.

I guess I'll just keep beating my head against the table trying to
make it seem logical. ;)

It's a no-win situation. Either it would be too tightly-controlled or
it would be too loosely-controlled. Each outcome would not be ideal.
The current state of affairs is far from ideal as well, so I don't see
the harm in allowing some change. Perhaps opening up the area for
prospecting by permit only and issue a limited number of permits - as
opposed to the zero permits issued now.

And besides, how many meteorite hunters would come crawling out of the
woodworks and crowd the desert looking for irons around the crater? I
seriously doubt people are knocking down the doors to get out into the
desert and walk around for hours under the pummeling sun looking for
pieces for rust. There are only so many of us crazy enough to find
that idea enticing. I'd doubt we'd see another situation like the one
in our biggest national parks where people are lined up 20 deep by the
hundreds every day to watch a geyser erupt.

Best regards,

MikeG