[meteorite-list] What metal detector works well on finding a stone meteorite?

From: Bill Hall <meteoritics_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:15:25 -0700

I would get a gold bug for detecting very small bits if Iron, however
to Rubens surprise as well as another meteorite hunter I know (who is
not a list member) I found an old weathered chondrite with my Minelab
Eureka Gold. The Minelab is very controversial machine it seems, but I
really like mine, and think the people who are unhappy with them
simply don't understand how to use them. Many humans are strangely
unable to grasp simple concepts and follow directions. Always take a
test meteorite with you and tune your detecter to pick it up, If you
have it set to pick up an L chondrite it will get the H chondrites as
well.

Example: I swear this happened yesterday! A customer called me ( who
lives in Alaska) and said she had no water in her motor home. The RV
park manager had already told her the supply hose to her RV was
FROZEN, and had disconnected it for her. When I arrived I explained to
her to simply bring the hose inside for a few hours to let it thaw out
and everything would be OK. Several hours later she calls frantically
exclaiming she still has no water!! OH Dear! I asked her to unhook it
from the RV and see if water would come out of the hose? She finally
understood what I meant and tried it. Nope, no water, ( I was watching
her from across the park and could tell she didn't turn on the faucet,
so after a few more minuets I taught her all about the way a water
faucet works. Yea!! now she has water.........god I hope she knows
what to do with it.

            Good luck! Bill