[meteorite-list] Just Another Question

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 06:29:32 -0400

Alan Rubin and I grappled with this issue in our article in
Meteorite! 10 years ago, "What is a meteorite? The pursuit of a
comprehensive definition." We wanted a definition that would exclude
things like tektites from being called meteorites. Our definition
then said that, to be called a meteorite, an object had to escape
the dominant gravitational influence of its parent body. In this
case, we would say that a terrestrial meteorite would be an object
ejected from earth by natural causes (i.e., by impact), which entered
an orbit around the sun and later was re-accreted by the earth.

Nothing like this has ever been found. Its distinguishing properties
might be a fusion crust, evidence for cosmic-ray exposure in space,
and lithology that is completely exotic for its find
location. Without an exposure history (or being an observed fall) it
would be a very tough sell... a Wingstar.

Jeff