[meteorite-list] Just Another Question

From: Mark Crawford <mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 07:24:13 -0400

A related question I pondered a while back: How big does an object
need to be to be a 'parent body'? Is the meteorite ever the full
remnant of the PB?

In other words, can something be big and coherent enough to survive
passage through the atmosphere and produce a meteorite, which hasn't
previously been part of a much larger body?

My (rather ill-educated) guess would be that candidates would be very
primitive and undifferentiated, with a very pretty low density.

Mark