[meteorite-list] Speck Issues - Reply to this subject

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:52:41 EST

Hello Walter, Frank, Mike and All,

I agree, there is a potential problem with fraud.

I would say, that a lack of ability to confirm certain meteorites as being
what they are, is one of the factors that is keeping the hobby from exploding
(even more so) in popularity.

Of course on the rare items, if they are large enough, anyone can go through
the trouble to get their own third party testing done if they really want
to. The Ordinary Chondrite Hammer stones are a bit different, no matter what
the size, but especially with the smaller ones.

I think there is room for extra value to be added to certain hammers (or
other historical OCs) if the seller(s) will go through the extra effort to
document what they have is from where they say it is.

Maybe this requires (microscopic?) photographic documentation, with notary
public documentation on the dealer's signature(s) for some? Who knows?

If an unknown buyer knows that he or she can buy and then later resell a
certain specimen, with the integrity of that specimen intact, then I think more
people will want to risk buying them, and that will only help their values.

We are still in the "Wild West" age of meteorite collecting. If a collector
is educated, and thus more self sufficient, it is still a great time to jump
in and build a great collection. As the hobby matures, some of these things
will be ironed out, and values will rise (and some may fall).

I think Frank's observation about this is very valid from a collector's
point of view. No doubt if a dealer has two part slices, (or two crumbs) of
equal quality, from a meteorite that hit a house, but one had the specimen
photographed on a signed ID COA card, and the other one didn't, and both were put
on Ebay, one would be sell for more than the other one would.

If the dealer also had a notarized copy of the exchange agreement with a
major museum, where the specimen came from, that would only help that much more
to add to the provenance and thus to the value.

In this electronic age, making a 1 min video of the hammer hitting the slice
and the crumbs being immediately identified could be enough to satisfy most
people.

Entrepreneurism is great. As needs arise, watch the solutions that will
emerge. Frank has pointed out a valid need.

The best is yet to come.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

In a message dated 3/3/2008 5:08:18 P.M. Central Standard Time,
waltbranch at bellsouth.net writes:
>Guys, there is no problem here.

There is a potential problem. When a dealer buys say,
a collection, who is to say that the seller has not
substituted one specimen for another. For example,
Claxton, in the size of a speck, looks like any other L6.
A well intentioned, well meaning, completely honest dealer
has to trust that the seller is being honest with them
and of course, on down the line.

-Walter Branch
(going home now. I hear a chillie cheese dog (or dawg, as we say here)
calling my name.)