[meteorite-list] Fwd: How many meteorite dealers are there?

From: M42protosun at aol.com <M42protosun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:13:07 EDT

Good evening list,

In my mind, nobody can give a true number of meteorite dealers.

Asume that we are talking only about professionals. Are they all meteorite
dealers? I think no! You can sell a meteorite only, if you have the sureness
that the piece is a meteorite. Otherwise you are a mineral seller (dealer).

And that is the problem!

There is no gapless tracking information about the most (small) items.

1. If a piece of rock contains chondrules it must not be a meteorite
because some complex sediments or some porphyric contain chondrule-like
pebbels

2. igneous rock may have a fusion crust different in color of its interieur,

3. Haematite-Magnetite clusters can show on a polished cut a hexagonale
texture like Widmanstaetten

4. Regmaglypte-like buckles can be on a piece of metal of a nade from WWII
time

5. to be the member of IMCA or other parties gives not the certitude for the
buyer, that he will buy a meteorite.

Normally, if the gapless tracking is interrupted, a new certificate must be
produced to start a new gapless tracking for the item. But this is not given
in the market.

So, if you have found a number of meteorite dealers, devide this by the
number of fingers you have. The result may be an estimated value with a certain
trueth.

After beginning collecting meteorites, I bought a lot of rebbish stuff for
expensive money. Now I have my own small LAB for physical, chemical and
petrological researches. This gives me some sureness that the seller from whom I
buy might be a true METEORITE DEALER.

Uwe