[meteorite-list] Help With Gary Foote's Recovery!

From: Maria Haas <dragonsoup_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:31:29 -0700

Hello Everyone,

Please send good thoughts towards Vermont, USA as Gary is being operated on again today. As you can imagine, Cynthia (CJ) has been taking care of Gary so she has not responded to all of your kind emails and I suspect it will take some time for their situation to calm down. She asked me to thank everyone who has emailed and sent donations for her and Gary and will answer emails as she can.

I have considered the best ways to handle this particular fundraiser and I could use your input. A couple of people have donated spectacular items to help raise money and I'm trying to figure out how best to give them away. These are our options right now:

1. Would you rather I give the largest item away to the highest bidder, the second largest item to the second highest bidder, etc. (a great idea from Michael Blood),
2. Would you rather I put together a small raffle? I could close it out with a drawing at the Denver show in September.
3. Would you rather I just sell the items through a silent auction?

I just need to know which would you prefer.

Just to let you know what has already been donated:

 - An original painting(!) of the Tagish Lake fall by Jerry Armstrong
   You can see his work at (http://michaelbloodmeteorites.com/JerryArmstrong.html and http://www.fallingrocks.com/paintings.htm

 - A gold-finish Nininger coin donated by Rob Wesel. Only 10 gold-finish coins were made!
   It's is similar to this one: http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com/catalog/nincoin.htm

Should you have any meteorites or meteorite-related items you could donate, please contact me and I'll gladly give them away, sell them, or raffle them off to help Gary!

Eric Olson has a crusted individual Martian NWA 2987 on eBay right now and will donate the proceeds. Please check it out at
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWA-2987-martian-meteorite-crusted-individual-foote_W0QQitemZ230270013735QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3239QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Or: http://tinyurl.com/6rxy3d

Also, their grocery store is over 18 miles away from their home and is named Hanneford's. If you'd like to purchase a grocery gift card, you can call Hanneford's at 1 (888) 646-2577. Have them issue the card in Cynthia Foote's name for the Morrisville, Vermont store. The gift card service center will have the card ready for her to pick up. Hanneford's website and info about the gift cards is at http://www.hannaford.com/Contents/Our_Stores/Gift_Cards/index.shtml. Please let me know that you've sent a card and I will make sure CJ knows it is there.

Thank you very much!

Maria