[meteorite-list] By Popular Demand................

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:44:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Martin and List,

First of all, my brother, Greg had nothing to do with
the acquisition on Northwest Africa 5000. Second, I
reported how it was brought into possession in way of
the entry in the Meteoritical Bulletin and my
announcement.

These days, I think proving laboratory provenance is
far more important when dealing with meteorites from
Northwest Africa than the original sources they came
from. After all, this the reason behind the NWA
moniker. If a dealer cannot prove he had his material
tested in a Nom Com approved facility and is too lazy
to get his own NWA nomenclature, it is time to walk
away because you do not know what you are getting no
matter how convincing the material may look.

I cannot count how many times I have been fooled on
appearance alone in the field when purchasing
decisions are made without the aid of a laboratory.
This is part of the risk that has to be taken in order
not to miss out on some fantastic stones. Collectors
never see this part of the action because wrongly
identified material never makes it market when
professionals are involved.

In my opinion, provenance with material from Northwest
Africa starts with the party who initially had it
characterized in a laboratory and made it official.

Best Regards,

Adam

that --- Martin Altmann <altmann at meteorite-martin.de>