[meteorite-list] By Popular Demand................

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:10:17 +0000

It doesn't happen often, but it does. When KemKem (remember the thread about 2 months ago?) first became available, buyers were assured it was going to be catalogued 'real soon'. Then it came out that what was being sold as KemKem was a jumble of several finds mixed together, and that most likely the original dealers who made the trip to Morocco had been sold a bill of goods. KemKem is now mainly a meteoric curiosity, and not worth as much as it might have been if it were a single new documented find.

I know I have bought one purported Canadian meteorite that, when it arrived, turned out to be a piece of slag; I kept it as a cautionary reminder. I probably have a couple other meteorites that aren't all they are cracked up to be, but since I mainly collect micros, determining that definitively is nearly impossible. After seeing how difficult provenance can be to confirm, I keep as much of my documentation as possible; if I don't have a specimen card or bill of sale from the seller, I print out the auction or page offering. As a collector, your main defenses are 'know your dealer', and 'document, document, document!'

Tracy Latimer