[meteorite-list] looking to trade for very rare canada piece

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 22:12:49 -0400

Hi Mark and all,

As a dealer I appreciate your comments and I think it is a good subject
and it has been covered to some degree here through out the years. I've
always kept every receipt for every item I have ever sold so I could
prove that the material was authentic.
I do believe it all comes down to dealing with honest dealers and
individuals who you can trust to supply you with authentic material.

One problem that some dealers may have with telling you where they get
their material is telling you where their sources are they buy from. I
am sure they don't want to get bypassed up after setting up a deal to
sell material only to have someone buy it out from them. I as a dealer
might offer the pedigree of the material only after I have secured the
material that I want and have offered it up to my customers.

I know that I have traded for specimens from various institutions,
directly or indirectly or direct from the finding sources. I am also
quite choosey about who I buy from and unless they have an outstanding
reputation, or I can positively identify material they are selling, I
simply buy from direct sources or from those I can trust. Lets face it,
museums can misplace and mislabel items and I have seen that on a few
occasions.

There was a question on the list a while back about material that was
being sold and the provenance. One other item they were selling, I
haven't seen ever for sale and it really makes me wonder if the buyer
got taken. Since I have some of that material and since I know the
buyer, I'll compare my piece which came out of a museum to try to help
authenticate. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say on
this and their comments.

--AL Mitterling