[meteorite-list] Steve's 150-gram Dragon piece

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2007 08:35:35 UT

Steve Arnold (Chicago) wrote:

"...one of the most beautiful and oriented meteorites that I have
ever seen. It was in the LABENNES meteorite room at the inn suites.
It was a 150 gram Sikhote-Alin that was a C shape with jagged teeth
and shaped like a dragon. Hence the name The Dragon..."

Darren responded:

"Your wife might [have killed you], though. $500 for 150 grams"

First of all, congrats on such a fine piece, Steve! It surely has a spectacular
shape - my first (subjective) impression was that of a lower jaw ;-) - but, with
regard to the price, ... that's something everyone must decide for themselves.

I recently paid $142 for 0.284 gr of the NWA 4801 angrite, a beautiful angrite
with gorgeous, translucent crystals of pyroxene and plagioclase. Well, for a
"speck" of 0.284 gr for $142, that is $500 for one gram!!!

Not trying to complain - all I wanted to say is that I did want a piece and so I
was willing to pay the price, ... but Darren, you are right. My wife's perspective
is an absolutely different one. I always keep a few cardboard boxes in the garage.
You never know, ... one might need them one day because nights ouside can be
pretty cold ;-)

Bernd