[meteorite-list] INTERVIEW WITH CARANCAS LOCALS

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:15:33 -0500

Hi, Doug,

    While on a trip to another village, Nasrudin
lost his favorite copy of the Qur'an.
    Several weeks later, a goat walked up to Nasrudin,
carrying the Qur'an in its mouth.
    Nasrudin couldn't believe his eyes. He took the
precious book out of the goat's mouth, raised his
eyes heavenward and exclaimed, "It's a miracle!
It's a miracle!"
    "Not really," said the goat. "Your name and
address is written inside the cover."

That, and 49 others at:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nasrudin
Also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasreddin

More tales (and some of the same) at:
http://www.afghan-network.net/Funny/1.html

More tales at:
http://www.immediex.com/mullanasrudin.html

An entire book of Nasrudin at Project Guetenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16244

    That should keep you Nasrudinized for a while.

    But before I sign off, let me tell you a little story
about Nasrudin The Smuggler...

     Nasrudin the smuggler was leading a donkey
that had bundles of straw on its back. An experienced
border inspector spotted Nasrudin coming to his border.
    "Halt," the inspector said. "What is your business here?"
    "I am an honest smuggler!" replied Nasrudin.
    "Oh, really?" said the inspector. "Well, let me search
those straw bundles. If I find something in them, then
you are required to pay a border fee!"
    "Do as you wish, "Nasrudin replied, "but you will
not find anything in those bundles."
    The inspector intensively searched and took apart
the bundles, but could not find a single thing in them.
He turned to Nasrudin and said, "You have managed
to get one by me today. You may pass the border."
    Nasrudin crossed the border with his donkey while
the annoyed inspector looked on. And then the very
next day, Nasrudin once again came to the border with
a straw-carrying donkey. The inspector saw Nasrudin
coming and thought, "I'll get him for sure this time."
    He checked the bundles of straw again, and then
searched through Nasrudin's clothing, and even went
through the donkey's harness. But once again he came
up empty handed and had to let Nasrudin pass.
    This same pattern continued every day for several
years, and every day Nasrudin wore more and more
extravagant clothing and jewelry that indicated he was
getting wealthier. Eventually, the inspector retired from
his longtime job, but even in retirement he still wondered
about the man with the straw-carrying donkey.
    "I should have checked that donkey's mouth more
extensively," he thought to himself. "Or maybe he hid
something in the donkey's rectum."
    Then one day he spotted Nasrudin's face in a crowd.
"Hey," the inspector said, "I know you! You are that man
who came to my border everyday for all those years with
a straw-carrying donkey. Please, sir, I must talk to you."
    Nasrudin came towards him and the inspector continued
talking. "My friend, I always wondered what you were
smuggling past my border everyday. Just between you and
me, you must tell me. I must know. I have to know. No harm
will come to you. Tell me: What in the world were you
smuggling?!"
    Nasrudin replied, "Donkeys."

Sterling K. Webb