[meteorite-list] INTERVIEW WITH CARANCAS LOCALS

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:40:33 -0500

Hi Jan,

No problem at all, I just think this is too complicated than most are
willing to realize, including poverty as I have been reminded as well, and
the framework under which the list as a group (we can't single out anyone in
particular as we are in this together) has painted of the locality. hah! as
if these problems of corruption were unique to this little corner of the
world, right.

I had no problem with your post, but its content suggested * to me * a
slight double standard, that is all, nothing personal. Most people on this
list say what they mean in an unadulterated fashion as you already saw and
most of us are all too familiar with.

I would never blame the Aymara for anything, * especially * for not being
themselves. This, by the way, includes not running to the crater and
pushing everyone else out of the way to get their God-given endowment, and
then not feeling envious, etc. of those who did. So please reconsider your
thinking about anything being their fault. I could be wrong, but these are
probably not part of their cultural upbringings, schooled or not, and they
deserve our respect for that. They certainly have mine.

I don't have any qualms with calling a dirty place: dirty, either, and I am
sure there are a long list of reasons that have caused this. As far as the
"lost value" you mention, this is an even more complicated question that
makes my head hurt, my best solution would be to crack open Porter and to
say it looks like I will never have the opportunity to possess this
meteorite.

Porter aside, it reminds me of a Sufi story I heard as a tyke.
Mulla Nasarudin saw a group of men (possibly horsemen or soldiers), he
panicked and found a pit jumped down to hide inside, and worried terribly
what that would do to him. Unfortunately for him, he began shaking, as he
did not escape their notice. They hastily came over, from above the pit one
voice yelled down as he was terrorized, "Sir, what ?n earth are you doing
down there? The Mulla answered, That, my friend, is not a simple question.
I am here because you are there ... I wish I could see the text of this
wonderful tale somewhere ...

Best health, and above all WELCOME, and thanks for your perspectives as
well!
And for putting up with my ramblings,

Doug