[meteorite-list] Incorrect trajectory in INGEMMET report & Wiki page?

From: Jan Hattenbach <jan.hattenbach_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:57:22 +0200

Hi Rob, and List,

I was also confused by the direction given in that report. According to an eyewitness who observed from Puno, the flight direction was "from left to right" which means somewhat N to S, not vice versa. The different wall heights of the crater also support the NE to SW flight direction. It's just one more incorrect part in media reports (in the beginning, I found lots of news repots claiming the impact was at midnight!)

BTW: Thanks a lot to all of you for the useful and interesting discussions here. I am lucky to live in Arequipa, Peru at the moment, so I took the opportunity to go to Desaguadero twice, fotograph the crater, talk to the locals and buy some of the stones. What an experience! Unfortunately, I did not meet Michael there, who in my mind makes an excellent job!

Jan (a new meteorite enthusiast...)