[meteorite-list] On Meteorite Pricing and A Good Outcome

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:24:57 -0400

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:51:56 -0400, you wrote:

>i also don't recall anyone having suggested that mike has been
>"heroic." however, mike's efforts and successes in meteorite
>recovery are nothing short of extraordinary.
>
>regardless of what anyone personally thinks of mike or his off-topic
>missives, any future overview of meteorite hunters which neglects to
>cite mike's accomplishments should be regarded with suspicion---as it
>would be conspicuously weak in scholarship.

While I agree Mike isn't "a hero" for recovering meteorites (and nobody used
that word) using the word "heroic" could arguably fit within the definition of
that word:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heroic

"having or involving recourse to boldness, daring, or extreme measures"

http://www.answers.com/heroic&r=67

"Impressive in size or scope; grand"
"Of a size or scale that is larger than life"

I would think that dropping everything to jet to any corner of the world to face
down guns and corrupt officials (not to mention desert heat) should rank right
up there.

/end rear-smooching