[meteorite-list] RICHLAND

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:21:37 -0500

Hi, All,

    Strictly as a dumb and innocent bystander on the
shall be about a Texas/Alaska Iron, I have a dumb
and innocent question (lamb to the slaughter).

    Here's what the Catalogue of Meteorites says
about RICHLAND:

A mass of 30lb (13.6kg) was found when
an old well was being cleaned out. Listed,
F.C. Leonard (1956).

Analysis, 5.56 %Ni, E.P. Henderson &
O.E. Monnig (1957).

It has been suggested that it is a transported
piece of Coahuila, but is chemically distinct.
More recent analysis, 5.40 %Ni, 60.6 ppm.Ga,
182 ppm.Ge, 8.2 ppm.Ir, J.T. Wasson (1974).

Structurally distinct from Coahuila; shock-melted
troilite, V.F. Buchwald (1975).

    Here's my dumb and innocent question: If the
mass of RICHLAND is 13.6 kilos and the mass of
(RICHLAND (FREDERICKSBERG) is 47+ kilos,
and FREDERICKSBERG is a piece of RICHLAND,
isn't Mike's 47 kilos (you carried it thru the airport?)
the Main Mass?

    Naive little physicist says if they are two pieces
of the same meteoroid that fell at the same time, the
biggest piece is the Main Mass, as in, that corresponds
to the physical reality.

    OK, ready for the beaurocratic axe to fall.

Sterling K. Webb