[meteorite-list] St. Paddy

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:24:47 -0500

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:07:08 -0700, you wrote:

> So, playing the "paddy" card is ludicrous and will gain
>no credibility - even among the majority of actual Irish.

If you can rely on this slur database, "Paddy" is "Used mainly in Britain"

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

so it may be one of the many words distancing American English from British
English, and have more meaning/impact in the UK. Much like the word "kaffir"
is, so I hear, a serious slur in some parts of the world while it is just a
plant name in the US
(http://images.google.com/images?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&resnum=0&q=kaffir%20lily&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&tab=wi)