[meteorite-list] St. Paddy

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:07:08 -0700

Dear Dave & all,
        There is a huge difference between "political correctness"
and intent - ESPECIALLY for an ethnic group that is no
longer a minority (Sociologically, a "minority group " is a group
who's members are subject to prejudice and discrimination
by virtue of membership in the group - thus, women, who are
a majority statistically are a sociological minority group).
Pre & early 1900s, the Irish were such a group - now every
"white" American (and some Americans of color) claims some
Irish descent at least one day a year and any prejudice or
discrimination is limited (if it exists at all) to parts of
Manhattan and Chicago - where ANY and EVERY group is
resented by some members of other groups.
        So, playing the "paddy" card is ludicrous and will gain
no credibility - even among the majority of actual Irish.
I grew up Catholic with many who claimed at least a significant
degree of Irish ethnicity. They and others affectionately
referred to Saint Patrick as "St. Paddy" and referred to "St.
Paddy's Day" regularly.
        People LOVE any reason at all to give Chicago Steve
grief. For Pete's sake (or Paddy's sake) he gives people enough
real ammunition that resorting to political correctness is not
a necessity.
        Good thing we got rid of the evil Proud Tom.
        Best wishes and may many benevolent leprechauns dance
on your head, Michael

--
"What fits your busy schedule better, exercising one hour a day
or being dead 24 hours a day?"