[meteorite-list] Who's still got their first meteorite?

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:17:15 -0000

Hi,

Got my first in about 1986, (an expensive) 'Oddessa' (a measley 2g speck stuck to a card), came from a famous fossil shop in Lyme Regis in Dorset UK, I remember also seeing a large Gibeon slice which had a price tag of ?1250 pounds on it! First time I had ever seen a Widmanstatten pattern, that image haunted me for weeks afterwards! (Prices back then where sooo different to these days, I tell yer, the newbies don't know they are born!!!). Then I had to wait another 5 years before I could find any more space rocks to buy, but once the internet was here, it was full steam ahead. But even now that I have a pretty good collection I still walk past my meteorite cabinet glance at an etched Iron slice and think WOW!!!

I think we are very much spoilt for choice these days, It's tempting to hoard as many meteorites as you can but how many people ever really LOOK and WONDER at them!?!

Mark