[meteorite-list] Not Proud of Tom

From: Thomas Webb <webbth1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 22:12:27 -0800 (PST)

Anne & List,
I agree with Anne. The real former member of the list
who the fictional character was based on had to
finally quit the list due to the ridicule he received
through this character portrayal. He was an
enthusiastic meteorite collector with some personal
problems at the time and the meteorites seemed to help
him cope with his problems. His mistake evidently was
that he declared himself 'the proudest member of the
IMCA', and I believe he really was proud to be
associated with the organization, but some people
jumped on this and rode it into the ground. I don't
think it is ever honorable to have fun at the expense
of others. We can laugh at ourselves and
good-naturedly poke fun at our friends when they are
agreeable to it, but I saw nothing of this with that
particular character.
Another list member, whom I respect as I do Michael,
tried some offbeat humor a couple of years ago which
didn't go over well with some. He saw his mistake,
apologized and withdrew it, and that was the end of
it. He continues to make great contributions to the
list.
I am not referring to our members who flare up or
argue occasionally, and who agree to disagree. They
are basically good people who most of us have respect
for and who have made many contributions to our hobby,
but who argue, sometimes very heatedly, to make some
valid points.
The list is in the best shape it's been in for some
time, so let's try to keep uplifting our members as we
are presently doing with those who are sick and
hurting, and also endeavor to not be the cause of pain
or mental anguish for any member.
Respectfully,
Thomas H. Webb