[meteorite-list] List rules re ads

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:53:36 -0800

Hi Howard,
        I went to Meteorite Central to copy the rule about ads,
believing you were mistaken. Apparently, Art ran that rule only
for a limited amount of time and the rules you listed are verbatim
with no additional guidelines, whatsoever.
        So, technically, anyone can run all the ads they want. As
dean said, most complainers are the ones that are consistently
placing ads (which I do not mind - but do hate the, "you ran one
less than a week ago" banter)...(I still don't understand how some
people find the "delete" key so abhorrent). So, no one can really
stand on a "rule" regarding frequency of ads.
        I would "add," however, that over advertising, boring advertising,
flooding the list with ads, etc, will lead to most people on the list
ignoring ALL your ads. In addition, there is a clear implication
that in the list rules that ALL offers should be a "sale" ad for list
members, not just a strait ad. This does NOT include greatly raising
your price for a few days, then taking it back to what it was (or even
higher) as at least one person has done.
        One would think "common sense" would dominate, but
the fact is that "common sense" is not all that common.
        Ads should be clever, and/or provide outstanding photo links
and/or offer a real bargain and /or offer a very rare fall, and/or etc.
        But technically, every one is free to make asses of themselves,
and some are remarkably gifted in this area.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice
because thorns have roses.