[meteorite-list] Nogata Meteorite

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 01:28:52 -0600

Hello Michael. Nogotta meteorite :-)? If you are writing a book, may I
suggest...

For a good look at the stone, Check Figure 1 (page 90, see online link
below) of the 1983 paper on the Nogata chondrite or better yet, contact the
authors, for a nice picture of the "low iron" L6 meteorite which appears to
be oriented (and is triangular shaped). While this aptly historically
called "Flying Stone" was purported to be a hammer hitting the Butoku Jinja
Temple Shrine, I would doubt that somewhat as it seems more likely that the
472 gram meteorite was lifted out of a small hole made in the ground by
villagers, not priests, and not scraped off the side the (stone - or rice
paper?) Shrine building. Perhaps the purported hammer was a different stone
from the same fall, though multiple pieces are apparently not mentioned. No
reverence whatsoever is mentioned, just that it was kept as a treasure, and
the sonic booms and light phenomena were apparently nicely recorded in the
almost ancient documentation.

Shima, M. et. al., "Description, Chemical Composition and Noble Gases of the
Chondrite Nogata", Meteoritics, Vol. 18, 30 June 1983, p. 87-102.

The authors received a sample of the treasure from the kind Shinto priest M.
Iwakuma of the now renamed Suga Jinja Shrine where it was "kept as a
treasure" for 1,120 years. In 1983 they lamented about the impossibility of
asking for more than 20 g to do some better MS compositional analysis with
the tools of the time, given the status of it being a treasure for over a
thousand years, kept in a wooden box, which incidentally was carbon dated
rather than analyzing the meteorite itself, due to lack of material. The
carbon dating was inconclusive though supported it to be ball-parked around
500 years older than the meteorite. The fall date was corroborated with at
least two historical records, though. The writing on the box giving the
fall year was of a later style script.

A complete copy of the paper for poor, impatient and underprivileged people
(low resolution terrible contrast photo) is available at:
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/gif/1983Metic..18...87S/0000090.000.
html

But I am sure you California/Arizona folks have hard, crisp copies coming
out of the woodwork in the UCSD library, etc.!

Best wishes,
Doug