[meteorite-list] Nogata Meteorite

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:00:10 -0800

Hi Peter,
        The only image I have seen of it was in a video about meteorites.
For those in the peanut gallery, it is the stone that fell May 19, 861ad.
in Nogata, Japan, crashing through the roof of a monastery of Buddhist
monks. It is the oldest documented hammer I know of. I believe not one
single mg has ever been made available to any one or any institution. It
is highly revered by the monks, supposedly because it is considered to
have fallen from heaven. (Such reported beliefs are often ethnocentrically
biased and/or involve misinterpretations in translation - so, who can say
how/what the monks REALLY think of it) - in any event, it is highly
regarded and absolutely none of the material has ever been available).
        In the video, a monk brought out the box in which it is kept and
the video was quite clear, as the interviewer and the monk were outside
in the courtyard. It was larger than a golf ball but smaller than a
baseball.
        If you do discover a still photo of it, I would much appreciate if
you let me know of it, as I am working on a book about hammers. Right
now all I have depictions of are mostly the 40 or 45 I have for sale. As
rare as some of them are, I would say Nogata takes the cake, as it is
TOTALLY unavailable.
        Good luck, Michael

--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something if his
salary depends on him not understanding it.