[meteorite-list] Nogata Meteorite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 01:26:01 -0600

Hi,

   For the lurking List, Nogata is an ordinary
chondrite, type L:

   "After detonations and a brilliant flash at night,
a stone fell which was recovered from a hole in
the ground the following morning. The stone has
been preserved since its fall in the Shinto shrine
of Suga Jinja, and the date of fall (April 7 in the
third year of Jogan, i.e.. May 19, 861 in the Julian
calendar) is written on the wooden box containing
the stone. However, the script is of a later date
than 861, as is the wooden box (S. Murayama,
letter_ of_ 13_ June_, 1980_, in Min. Dept., NHM,
London)."
   "A single mass of 472g, description, analysis,
olivine Fa 25.1^, orthopyroxene Fs 22^, 19.45 %
total iron, M. Shima et al. (1983)."
   "Noble gas systematics, CRE age ~ 64Ma;
K-Ar age ~ 4.75Ga, N. Takaoka et al. (1989)."
   470g remain in the possesion of Suga Junja Shrine.

   Nice fusion crust, I would guess, from the darkness
of the stone in the photo.

Sterling K. Webb