[meteorite-list] Meteorite in New Hampshire

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 04:55:22 +0100

Interesting that you should mention Finland and that no meteorite have
been found that way. Bjurb?le is a name that pops up whenever I hear
about mysterious holes in ice.
http://www.somerikko.net/old/geo/met/mbjurb_e.htm

But I agree, this one doesn't really sounds like a meteorite and is
probably caused some other way. The story about the hole getting bigger
the first day is one part of it. There should also have been chunks of
ice from the original surface but the central hole looked like it was
filled by clear ice.
The elongated air bubbles are also common when the ice is freezing over.

We had a number of similar appearances of holes in ice 5-10 years ago
but none yielded any meteorites.

... but I hope I'm wrong.

Good hunt!

G?ran

Sterling K. Webb wrote:
> Hi, Gary, List
>
> I don't want to throw cold water on this possibility
> (plenty of that already), but every winter, there's one
> or more "did a meteorite land in a pond/lake" stories
> that pop up on the List. There was a long-lasting thread
> back in Jan., 2001, about a lake in Finland (where,
> incidentally, there are many "meteorite in a lake/pond"
> stories, none of which ever panned out with a rock).

... snip ...