[meteorite-list] Meteorite in New Hampshire

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:07:39 -0500

Thanks for the link Goran. It is most telling that there was no mud on the surface of
the ice. From your referred webpage;

"Meteorite made 4 meter wide hole in the ice and mud was spread over 24 x 33 m wide area
around the hole."

Alo,. the fact that no chunks of ice were found around the hole. Do you think the heat
or ferocity of a presumed impact might have melted or shattered them to minute fragments
indestinguishable from snow?

> The story about the hole getting bigger
> the first day is one part of it.

That too disturbs me. But there are thermal qualities that might have caused this.
Perhaps the suddenly open water, being warmer than the surrounding ice gave the hole time
to enlarge before stunning cold set back in and froze it all back up? Just conjecture.

> We had a number of similar appearances of holes in ice 5-10 years ago
> but none yielded any meteorites.

I wonder why this time period of 5 to 10 years is so short? Why not all the time?

> ... but I hope I'm wrong.

Me too:)

Thanks,

Gary