[meteorite-list] Dwarf Planet 'Becoming A Comet' (2003 EL61)

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:22:45 -0800

Hello Rob, All,

>Comets are generally considered to be a thin layer of
rocky material over a lot of volatites, the complete
opposite. I could well be wrong on this. Virgin comets
are unusually bright on their first perihelion
passage. One theory is that the surface volatiles ar
vapourised away leaving this outer layer of dark
material. This would suggest that if EL61 is indeed,
becoming a comet, this is it's first journey inward
which seems most unlikely.

And yet, this would all depend on the amount of hydrovolcanism on the
surface of the body itself - if there were enough activity to completely
resurface the2003 EL61 with ice since it experienced it's great impact,
what's to say it hasn't been resurfaced since its last close perihelion?
I know that some comets have geysers of their own...is there any data around
that tells us how long it might take for any particular comet (I know many
would be different) to completely resurface itself with ice and thus enter
the inner solar system brighter than when it had last left?
Regards,
Jason