[meteorite-list] CORRECTIONS TO Dwarf Planet 'Becoming A Comet'

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:41:17 -0800 (PST)

Fascinating reading.

I can't help but feel that the use of the word comet
is typical of scientists attempts to engage the
layman.

In this case, I accept the term 'becoming a comet' in
a context of trying to engage the common plebian [we
call them 'the Sun' Readers in the UK]
The average Sun reader thinks they know what a comet
is. If they are paying taxes for scientists to explain
stuff then they want it in terms they think they
understand. If the scientist try to get all superior
then it's not on. That'd suggest the scientist have
one up on the guys who pay their salaries and that's a
no-no.

I accept that 2003 EL61 is a fascinating object but a
comet it ain't. Again I refer to the non-typical
Halley as an example. The density of this comet is
.25g/cm^3. Much less than 2003EL61. With an
essentially rocky core, this is surely a different
class of object.

Fascinating discussion. [I continue this until we can
establish once and for all whether CI or CM are
cometary]

Rob McC

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>

=== message truncated ===