[meteorite-list] CORRECTIONS TO Dwarf Planet 'Becoming A Comet'

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 18:15:49 -0600

Hi,

    Just to clear up a few things: EL61 is a big rock
with a thin layer of "snow." But it's so big and there's
so much "snow" on a surface that size, that it amounts
to all those Hale/Bopps. Some of my arithmetic last
night was wrong (note to self: put on glasses, use
calculator, dummie!), but the correct figures don't
change the picture for the better.

    EL61's surface area is hard to calculate, given its odd
shape, but it's about 9-10 million km^2. How do you
measure the surface of that tri-axial shape? It would be
just under 8 million km^2 if it were an efficient sphere,
or 13 million km^2 if it were a box. EL61's shape has
more surface than a sphere of the same volume, but
less than the box it would fit in. Theories of packing
efficiencies say a "long egg" is about 83% efficient,
which would make EL61 about 10 million km^2.

    A "Hale/Bopp" sized object is about 33,500 km^3,
so every kilometer of depth of ice on EL61 is equal
to 298.5 "Hale/Bopp" sized objects. Every ten feet
of "snow" on EL61 is equal to one Hale/Bopp. And
every 45 cm of depth is a layer of material equivalent
to the entire mass of the interplanetary dust of the
Zodaical Light.

    If the ice on EL61's surface was one kilometer deep,
its total volume would be the equivalent volume of a
270-kilometer diameter "comet," a pure iceball. If the
ice is ten kilometers deep, it would be the equivalent
volume of a 580-kilometer diameter iceball. As huge as
that volume of ice is, it's nothing compared to the total
volume of 2003 EL61, which is 1,760,000,000 km^3.

    Another critical factor is that those volatiles are all
spread out on a vast surface with the maximum ability
to intercept the sun's rays, a surface of a body that is
spinning so fast that every point crosses the "nightside"
in 2 hours, guaranteeing full exposure of most of the
surface and an average exposure of 50% everywhere.

    This is less mass than I calculated (too quickly) last
night, but still more than enough to produce the results
I described. I hate when you're off by more than an
order of magnitude too big, but when you discover and
correct it, the results are just as lousy and discouraging
as before. Really annoying, and just as dangerous.

    Could the ice on EL61 just be very shallow, so that
there's no big deal? The only source of crystalline ice
(snow) on such a world is water geysers which must
be driven by internal heat and pressure, like Enceledus,
the moon of Saturn. This argues for some good depth
of ice to reach or generate that heat and pressure.

    With an albedo of 0.70, the surface of 2003 EL61
is a mixture of "new-fallen" crystalline snow (albedo
0.90) and "older" icy surfaces (albedo 0.67). This
suggests about 20% of 2003 EL61's surface is "new
fallen" snow. Crystalline ice (snow) has destinctive
spectral characteristics that ice (old and solid) does
not. EL61's got it; its moons do not.

    If 20% of EL61 is covered with "new" snow, that
suggests a fair rate of "geological" activity. If we had
an orbiter watching it, it would probably find an active
geyser or two going at any one time...

    Brown is using the term "become a comet" to
describe the appearance, not the character, of 2003
EL61 if it entered the inner solar system. It confuses
the listener, because he doesn't mean it IS a comet.

    What a comet "is," is in flux right now, with all
the recent missions and recoveries going on. They
do not appear to be the traditional "dirty snowball,"
but much more asteroidal. Conversely, we keep
finding asteroids that may be "comets." Ultimately,
I think all the Small Bodies are similar with a range
of volatiles that is not as wide as we thought. Comets
are rockier; asteroids are wetter, than believed. The
difference may be between "hot" and "cold" asteroids,
rather than asteroids and comets.

Sterling K. Webb