[meteorite-list] Photos of a meteorite?

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:53:36 -0800 (PST)

Doug, it is a nice shape, but you have to know! I see
no problem cutting a small end off, and etching it,
then it would be so much nicer, with a beautiful
pattern on one end, and the question would be solved.
If you cut a tiny groove, you are making an ugly mark,
that while it might sort of confirm that it is a
meteorite, it is like drilling a core sample, it does
damages, makes it ugly, and can not me undone. A small
endcut however, is normal, shows the etch which would
allow classification, and gives you full proof that it
is a meteorite. The specimen is nice, but not the best
shape, so it is not like you are destroying a perfec
oriented button shaped meteorite covered in flow
lines.
Michael Farmer

By the way, for one this small, have it cut on a wire
saw, not in a metal shop!