[meteorite-list] Photos of a meteorite?

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:43:42 +0100

Doug writes:

> At the moment, I am thinking of doing something like David's sphere
> collection: Just dump the whole thing in acid for etching, gently clean
> it to look for any markings first, and then polish and let it etch.

Hi Doug,

do you seriously consider to dump the whole thing in acid for etching, as you say? Imho this would destroy it?s natural as-it-is-beauty. Just for comparison, and as an example, please look at all those beautiful Henburys with a natural reddish-brownish patina left to them - aren?t these far, far more pretty than all those others which at some point after having been picked up from the desert had hit some fate of preparation and "face-lifting"? Or is it just me who thinks this way?

Well, then again, as we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

Anway: if I were you I would leave it in it?s natural state, just cut or grind off a reasonably small (!) chip from one of it?s sides to be able to make a Nickel test - that?s it, and don?t consider it a wound to the piece, but instead just a little window into it?s wonders!

Good luck - and may we stay tuned to any news on this?
Alex
Berlin/Germany