[meteorite-list] magnetic meteorites

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:17:05 -0800

Hello Mike,
~92% of all meteorites are magnetic; all irons, all stony irons, and
nearly all stones are magnetic.
The only meteorites that are not magnetic would be the HED's (some of
these are slightly magentic), as well as Aubrites (though some of
these contain iron as well), planetary meteorites (oftentimes
*slightly* attracted to a neodymium magnet, though one should never
poke such meteorites with a magnet), and Rumuruti chondrites (in this
case, because most of the iron is contained within iron sulfide, and
is thus non-magnetic).
Depending on the stone, a few carbonaceous meteorites are lightly
magnetic, but in general, they tend to be magnetic as well.
Almost all meteorites are magnetic...I don't know where you heard
otherwise, but...yeah.
Regards,
Jason