[meteorite-list] Meteorites, their parent bodies, strewn fields, and beta

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 20:33:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone -

My apologies once again for not yet writing a full
thanks you note to everyone from Tucson, but I hope
you'll understand... I've already mentioned Mexico
Doug and some others, but let me also thank Impactika,
Anne Black, and Chladnis's Heirs, for the fine
specimens. There's others who I need to thank, but I
don't think that this is the place to do it, for
reasons which they know.

The reason for this note is that this is important. I
hope you all know that meteorites are more dense than
their parent bodies. I can't point you to an easy
internet site where you may learn this if you don't.
Now that this difference in density is ascribed to
"porosity", spaces in the parent bodies.

It has turned out that the momentum imparted to a
parent body when it is hit by a kinetic mass is far
greater than the mere addition of moments, due to a
jet reaction which occurs when the parent body is hit.
This multiple of momentum is called "beta", and it
appears to be dependant on "porosity".

So how can you get some good estimates of "beta", of
"porosity"? I think that some answers to these
questions may be gained by studying strew field
distributions for the different types of meteorites.

Why? Because those strewn fields, which show a small
part of a parent body explodes when it hits the
atmosphere, are also dependant on porosity.

Does this make sense to all of you experts here?

good hunting,
Ed