[meteorite-list] Meteorites, their parent bodies, strewn fields, and beta

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:06:54 -0600

Hi Ed-

Unless you also have some information about the trajectory of the original
fireball, analyzing a strewn field doesn't tell you much. The shape and
orientation of the strewn field is strongly affected by winds during the
fall, which can completely erase the details of the breakup. When analyzing
fireballs, a good measure of porosity comes from the optical efficiency.
That can be calculated from the brightness and the mass. The latter is
estimated either from the acoustic energy (if also captured by infrasound
detectors), or by examining the dv/dt profile.

Chris
Chris L Peterson
http://www.cloudbait.com