[meteorite-list] signals from metal detectors

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:26:10 -0600

Hollo List!
I like most that have hunted for meteorites have also used a metal
detector from time-to-time. I still don't know for sure if I was
successful finding my first iron met with it. The jury is still out
on that one. However, I once visited with a well-known collector who
brought 'round several stones for some of us to look over. One of
which was a piece of Allende CV3.2 Carbonaceous Chondrite. I will
probably never forget the night I got to hold that stone in my
hands. Talk about thrilled. Anyway, while the kind gentleman was
there showing us his Meteorites, I asked him if I could run the
Allende over the coil of my Gold Bug. He said sure and so I did. I
discovered a very distinct tone when doing so. Something I had not
heard before using that detector. I'm quite good with the detector
and can easily tell the difference between a penny and a dime. By
that I am not bragging but simply stating that I know the tones it
gives for different things, (most things that is). The signal that I
heard as the Allende went over the coil is one that I will listen for
from now on. Very much all its own.

My experience with the detector and other meteorites is, with the
exception of the little micros (suspect stones) I have, virtually
nothing. So here is the gist of this email: What can some of you
other detector hunters tell me about how meteorites sound off on your
detectors? (Not the irons or stony irons of course).

Michael Murray
nom de plume - Rockbiter