[meteorite-list] "Meteoroid Hits the Moon" Article Question

From: Mike Groetz <mpg444_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 30 19:43:26 2006

   Sorry for the ignorant question- but if someone
could help me with this I would really appreciate it.
   Ref: The current issue of Meteorite Magazine (Aug.
'06) Pg 5 news article.
   There are a couple of references to a fireball upon
impact.
   My question is- if the moon does not have an
atmosphere as such- how could there be a "fireball"
without the gasses (oxygen, etc.) to burn?
   I could understand a large cloud of impact material
ejected- but a true fireball?
   Sorry if maybe I am just reading this out of
context.

   Thank you if you can help me understand.
Take care
Mike