[meteorite-list] Does the exterior disclose

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 30 19:11:11 2006

Hi Walter,

To answer part of your question:

How to decide? This is one of those things that, I believe, come with
experience. I use to buy classified rough/uncut rarer stones so I could
learn what to look out for on an unclassified uncut stone. For
unclassifieds, sometimes the only way to find out is to slice it. On others,
it may be obvious. Take for example NWA 2377. This is an obvious one as
almost any surface reveals a candy filled chondrule matrix. Neodymium
magnets can help a little bit with separation. I have one that is the size
of a pack of cigarettes and use it quite a bit. (I also have to stay 50 ft.
away from anyone with a pacemaker.) If there is metal in there, this magnet
will tell me. Achondrites are pretty obvious with little to no attraction.
You can also tell a difference with L and H types with a good magnet.

If your objective is to do your own cherry picking, then you're not going to
have any luck with eBay. The best thing I can suggest is to meet people, go
to the shows, handle lots of stones, and buy lots of stones...

Good luck!

Mike Bandli