[meteorite-list] Old Italian Lithograph of Japanese Fall?

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 30 19:03:38 2006

Dear Jeff and List,
  Hello. I have looked at your photo and it appears
that the artist did not witness the event or the event
did not take place in Japan. For example, the
clothing and face styles do not appear to be Japanese.
 The house styles and fencing COULD be set in
Japanese, Chinese or Korean coastal scenes. The
peoples` faces are more fat and rounded than Japanese
and one man is wearing a turban and has a full beard.
Surely, this is artistic license at play.
  The Japanese Coast Guard has very accurate records
of all Tsunami that have occured in the past 100
years, and most likely before, off or near Japan.
  I hope this helps some. Best, Dirk...Tokyo

--- Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteorites.com.au> wrote:

> Howdy folks,
>
> Can anyone say which Japanese fall this lithograph
> represents?
>
> www.meteorites.com.au/images/1947.jpg
>
> It was published on March 16th, 1947 in the Italian
> newspaper/magazine, LA
> DOMENICA DEL CORRIERE. The text in the image reads:
>
> "Una montagna che dal cielo... Lungo le coste fel
> mare del Giappone una
> gigantesca meteora ?Ecaduta dal cielo e si ?E>
sprofondata nel suolo