[meteorite-list] Experiment: in fire starting with Canyon Diablo

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 12:15:06 2006

Hi all -

First off, I want to thank Piper Hollier for trading
the Canyon Diablo for a copy of my book. I haven't
heard from him yet, though I immediatly sent the copy
of my book to him by the fastest US postal
international mail service. In particular all enjoyed
his documentation, and especially his picture of
Barringer Crater. Good trade.

The attempt was made at the powwow of the United
Cherokee of Ohio which was held in Franklin, Ohio.
Four experienced fire-starters attempted to get
sparks: Laughing Bear of the Cherokee, young Martin,
Elkheart of the Meti, and John of the Shawnee. (I hope
I have remembered everyone's name correctly, but since
my stroke my memory, particularly of rapid events, is
not so good.) All were very impressed with the
meteorite, and as mentioned, with Piper's photo.

Alas, in the event, the oxidation layer of the Canyon
Diablo proved too thick for the Flint Ridge flint to
penetrate, despite multiple attempts by all four
experienced fier-starters over about a 20 minute
period. Immediate suggestions were made to use CLR (a
calcium, lime and rust remover) to remove the
oxidation layer, followed by suggestions to use a
diamond-bit tipped dremel to do so.

I know many of you collectors will wince at a
meteorite being consumed by such a process, but
remember that once it is taken down to a striking
surface, fire starting should consume it only a few
grains/sparks of the meteorite per fire, which should
result in a long period of great use.

Once again, my thanks to Piper,

good hunting,
EP