[meteorite-list] Stan's NWA 2965 EL6/7 and achondrite vs chondrite

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:21:34 +0000

Mark,
didnt you read the auction for what you bid on? :)

the classification of this stuff as a 6/7 is SO 5 minutes ago. it's an
EL3... when NAU and other groups looked at this stuff they saw a fine
grained feild of enstatite and no chondrules. thats what lead them to call
it a recrystalized enstatite or an aubrite depending on the lab. After the
type specimin donations totaled about half a kg it was realized that this
stuff really DOES have chondrules - and not just relict ones either but
honest to goodness pristine un metamorphosed ones. this is type three
material - but material that just happend to have a chondrule density of a
few per square foot - or something ridiculous like that. the light grey/blue
lithology material - while typically reffered to as the 'fresher' material
by morrocain sources is aparently the more aqueously altered of the two
lithologies.

now if you want to talk about chondrules in achondrites - look at nwa 725 or
likely pairings. this is a winonaite that looks like a type 4 chondrite! but
let's not get the IAU in on this one - they might decide that all of our
rocks arent meteorites after all but 'minor impacting bodies from space' ;)